Friday, December 23, 2011

Oh! My Soul is Overwhelmed!

"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me" (Matthew 26:38).

I will never forget the moment that our youngest son walked off the elevator and he saw the grief in our eyes. We told him the awful news: his fiancé had a grave cancer. As I held this huge bear of vulnerability in my arms, I thought of this verse in which Jesus asked His beloved family to watch with Him; to enter into His grieving heart as He was to enter His time of trouble.

How much I wanted to trade places with his wonderful young lady; to spare my son who I loved more than my own life this awful sorrow in his too-young life. But God spared not His own Son and He cannot release us from the sorrows we would flee.

I am so very proud of this young man! Both young people were only 20 years old when this descended on them. They became our role models in how they handled this grief. Our son could have walked off; they were not married yet. But later on he told me that there was no way he would have done that, for he loved her so much! Oh, that we could all say that, and then follow it with actions to prove our love. My dear son, God bless you for your faithfulness and devotion!

We thank God with so-full hearts that our Ria is cured! These extraordinary young people are married and have four children who are the best grandchildren in the world. I would like to say thank you to this dear, dear young lady who has given us such joy!

PRAYER: Precious Father, we know that You watch with us as we keep the vigil at our loved one's bedside. You kneel with us and give us the courage to give courage to our loved one. We thank You, dear Father, for faith and strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment