Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Creed - Edgar A. Guest

My Creed:
To live as gently as I can;
To be, no matter what, a man;
To take what comes of good or ill
And cling to faith and honor still,
To do my best, and let that stand
The record of my brain and hand;
And then, should failure come to me,
Still work and hope for victory.
To have no secret place wherein
I stoop unseen to shame or sin;
To be the same when I’m alone
As when my every deed is known;
To live undaunted, unafraid
Of any step that I have made;
To be without pretense or sham --
Exactly what men think I am.
To leave some simple mark behind
To keep my having lived in mind;
If enmity to aught I show,
To be an honest, generous foe,
To play my little part, nor whine
That greater honors are not mine.
This I believe, is all I need
For my philosophy and creed.
 Edgar A. Guest
 
God hides some ideal in every human soul. At some time in our life we feel a trembling, fearful longing to do some good thing. Life finds its noblest spring of excellence in this hidden impulse to do our best. Robert Collyer.

Silent - in our lowly service among others, not seeking to be seen of men.
Silent - over the glory of the hours on the ­Mount, lest others think of us above that which is writ­ten.
Silent - over the depths of the Calvary path­way that led us to God.
Silent - whil­st we stoop to serve the very ones who have be­trayed us.
Silent - over the deep things of God revealed in the secret places of the Most High, impossible to utter to those who have not yet been bap­tized with that baptism with­out which they will be straitened in spiritu­al perception until it be accomplished.
Silent­ - over ques­tions only to be answered by God, the Holy Ghost, when that day dawns for the questioning heart, and silences all doubt by the glorious revelation of Him Who is the answer to all our needs.
Silent - when forced by others to some posi­tion where apparent rival­ry with an­other much-used servant of God seems imminent, only to be hushed by utter self-effacement, and our silent with­drawal without explanation, irre­spec­tive of our rights.
Silent - yea, silent in the judgment-­hall of our co-religionists,when criticized and falsely accused of many things. From Springs in the Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment