Lest we feel we are overworked and underpaid, here is a gem from 1892:
This notice was found in the ruins of a London office building. It was dated
1. This firm has reduced the hours of work, and the clerical staff will now
only have to be present between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. weekdays.
2. Clothing must be of a sober nature. The clerical staff will not disport
themselves in raiment of bright colors, nor will they wear hose unless in good
3. Overshoes and topcoats may not be worn in the office, but neck scarves and
headwear may be worn in inclement weather.
4. A stove is provided for the benefit of the clerical staff. Coal and wood
must be kept in the locker. It is recommended that each member of the clerical
staff bring four pounds of coal each day during the cold weather.
5. No member of the clerical staff may leave the room without permission from
6. No talking is allowed during business hours.
7. The craving for tobacco, wine, or spirits is a human weakness, and as such
is forbidden to all members of the clerical staff.
8. Now that the hours of business have been drastically reduced, the
partaking of food is allowed between 11:30 and noon, but work will not on any
9. Members of the clerical staff will provide their own pens. A new sharpener
is available on application to the supervisor.
10. The supervisor will nominate a senior clerk to be responsible for the
cleanliness of the main office and the private office. All boys and juniors will
report to him 40 minutes before prayers and will remain after closing hours for
similar work. Brushes, brooms, scrubber, and soap are provided by the
11. The owners recognize the generosity of the new labor laws, but will
expect a great rise in output of work to compensate for these near Utopian
Still want to complain??