Thursday, August 23, 2012

For Shame!

"They were not at all ashamed, nor could they blush ...." (Jeremiah 6:15 Amplified OT).
 
I think we have finally and forever fulfilled this verse. When I see and hear what is going on in this world, I marvel that God has waited so long to clean our clocks. I recall my beloved grandmother expressing great disgust at a certain ad back in 1958. Yikes, she should see them now--she would do double-time back to her grave.

The prayer of Ezra, the scribe, the brave, good, holy man who led a company of his Israelite brethren from Babylon to Jerusalem, prayed for his sinful nation, "O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to Thee, my God." Perhaps we need the shepherds of our wandering-in-the-wilderness flocks to do more praying and less compromising with the ever-lowering standards of this bewildered planet which is sinking in strange theories and even-stranger practices.

Diogenes said to a youth whom he saw blushing: "Courage, my boy, that is the complexion of virtue." The mind of Christ will give us the complexion we so need in these shameful days.

No comments:

Post a Comment