Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Timing is Right!

Our oldest son died during the Christmas holidays. Since he chose to die, I decided to share with our four younger sons a verse that has had great meaning to me personally. A few days after his death I took them back to Chuck's bedroom and asked them to sit with me on his bed. Then, after a silent prayer for wisdom to guide these tender little hearts, I tried to explain to them about God and His purposes for us. I told them that we are born neither too soon nor too late; that we are born at this time because God has purposes for us and no one else. We have jobs to do that no one else on earth can do.

There were hundreds of verses I could have chosen that might have been more relevant. I don't know. But I still believe, years later, that the Holy Spirit prompted me to share this particular verse. Chuck's death, especially the fact that he chose to give up what we think would have been a good life, had a profound impact on my blas̩ atti-tude about life and its mysteriousness and its urgency Рand its preciousness!

I tried to explain to these bewildered gifts–suddenly I saw my treasured sons in a new light!–that God knows the right time and place for us to be born, and He wants us to make use of our talents and our strength right where we are and at that time. He doesn't want us dreaming of other times and places and what we could have done there. It's senseless, useless and hopeless.

These dear young men have gone on to caring and giving lives. They have happy marriages to wonderful gals, and now we are grandparents. Life, that dear gift, goes on. How I thank God for our sons and daughters who choose to live and love and pass on these great gifts so others may live!


...we are born neither too soon nor too late; ... we are born at this time because God has purposes for us and no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment