Saturday, July 13, 2013

Have mercy on the dying!

My sister-in-law lived next door to us. We were blessed in that we were friends as well as relatives. She was a gentle soul and I never heard her complain. We had precious times together through the years. Then one day she got the news we ladies dread: she had breast cancer. She was one of the unfortunates, for it spread to her lungs and liver. 

When I got home from work each day I would head to her house. She was in tears one day, and shared this: "My friend from church came and she told me I don't have enough faith or God would heal me. But my doctor told me it's terminal." It is cruel for a professing lover of God to tell a dying person he or she hasn't enough faith. God does not heal everyone. We don't know why; the secret belongs with God. If some of us lived forever, then I would have a problem, but we all eventually leave this earth. What a monstrous thing to do to a dying person!

Is it any wonder some people hate God when they hear this nonsense? It's sad enough to witness death, but it is an even worse sorrow to pick up the pieces left behind by Job's comforters who forget that God gives grace to the dying as well as to the living. This is what we can share.

No comments:

Post a Comment