Thursday, March 1, 2012

Emily Sparks - Edgar Lee Masters

Years ago a very dear friend introduced me to Edgar Lee Master's Spoon River Anthology. Of all the entries the one titled Emily Sparks touched my soul, for I was fortunate enough to have a teacher like Emily Sparks. This dear lady saved my life in so many ways. I'm not sure I ever thanked her! If you have an Emily Sparks in your life, and if you can still thank her (him, too!), please do it now!

Where is my boy, my boy
In what far part of the world?
The boy I loved best of all in the school?--
I, the teacher, the old maid, the virgin heart,
Who made them all my children.
Did I know my boy aright,
Thinking of him as a spirit aflame,
Active, ever aspiring?
Oh, boy, boy, for whom I prayed and prayed
In many a watchful hour at night,
Do you remember the letter I wrote you
Of the beautiful love of Christ?
And whether you ever took it or not,
My, boy, wherever you are,
Work for your soul's sake,
That all the clay of you, all of the dross of you,
May yield to the fire of you,
Till the fire is nothing but light!...
Nothing but light!

Spoon River Anthology

Edgar Lee Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment