Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Master!

I was reading my Bible after a particularly trying day, and one thought led to another. Finally I was guided by the Holy Spirit to a passage wherein Mary, weeping and searching, at last finds Jesus.

How tenderly and lovingly He must have spoken her name! Mary, whose sins this Man forgave, turned to Him and said, "Master." Jesus had many encounters with all types of people, but this meeting touched a chord in my own heart. I thought, how many times He must call to us each day with the same compassion and affection that caused Him to forgive Mary!

But we don't hear His gracious voice because the din of the world's demands and pleasures drown out the pleading of the Master. His gentle invitation will not be forced upon those who will not listen, for He says, "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). He places a condition upon us so that we may know Him.

Surely He speaks our name when we are confronted with the daily temptations of anger, pride, disbelief, covetousness, slander, hate, and whatever else the devil sees fit to throw in our path this day. That twinge of conscience is God's voice saying, "My dear child, I died for you and I was resurrected from death that you might have life. Listen to Me! Only I can fill your hungry heart, forgive your sins, give you that which you ask, and heal your hurts. Come to Me, and I will give you peace and rest."

What a comfort to know that our name in on the Master's lips!

No comments:

Post a Comment