Wednesday, March 7, 2012

In You the Fatherless Find Mercy

"...For in You the fatherless find mercy" (Hosea 14:3); "And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29).

I was adopted when I was five by a gentle man who I knew loved me. Many years later I married and had children who he loved just as much as he loved me. When he was 65 he died suddenly and months later our oldest son died. Shortly after, I joined a group to search for my biological father. At the time I thought it would comfort and support me to find my "real" father.

I went for about a year. During that year I wrote different places trying to get information and usually came up with little to nothing. Finally, at one of these meetings I listened yet again to the accounts of money and time spent searching for a rainbow that could just as easily turn into a storm. One day I decided at a meeting that I already had a Father who cared: "When my father and mother forsake me (for whatever reason), then the Lord will take care of me" (Psalm 27:10). Our Father's mercy train had carried me through lands of both joy and sorrow this far, so why was I wasting His time and money reversing the train? The thought nourished me, and I didn't go back to any more meetings.

I certainly don't mean to criticize those who dig for their unknown roots. I rejoice when I read an account of relatives who have been brought together through these organizations that have done so much good work. But I felt that, if I personally kept pursuing the search, I was telling my Father that I lacked faith in Him that He would finally answer all my questions. Anyway, it wasn't really necessary that I know. I felt enormous relief when I finally accepted this.

John 14:18 tells us: "No, I will not abandon you or leave you as orphans in the storm -- I will come to you." In this beloved chapter, Jesus promises the Presence of the Holy Spirit at all times for us. We need never feel alone! In this day of aloneness in the crowds, what a dear promise this is. In Zephaniah 3:17, we learn that "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." I particularly like the promise of God quieting us with His love. We really don't have to worry about the peripherals in life when we have the Principal.

I suppose I also felt finally that it was a dishonor to my stepfather who was the only father I knew and loved. Again, this is not to disparage those who do searches. It's only that I so believe that my heavenly Father filled the gap nicely, and I'd best leave it alone.

Thank You, Father, for being my Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment