Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Still bearing fruit

"They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green..." (Psalm 92:14).

No one wants to get old. Disease becomes outright disease. This verse becomes a
blessed promise to those who keep faithful. We won't be spared getting old, but we will be spared becoming useless and fruitless and simply less. We may not do as much or as well as we did before. That doesn't matter; what is important is that our confidence does not fail. We can't help the years that slip away, but we are responsible for coming to our later years with the fruit of the Spirit so that we may stay "fresh and green" in our hearts.


If we prayed in our youth, "Teach us to number our days and recognize how few
they are; help us to spend them as we should" (Psalm 90:12 TLB), then we need
not fear the approaching forever. When young we collect; when old we recollect,
gratefully, we hope; when young we celebrate; when old we cerebrate.
"Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation..." (Psalm 71:18); "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you" (Isaiah 46:4). One who has affectionately created will sustain. We cherish and defend that on which we have spent much time and love; how much more so our Author and Finisher.

As our physical powers diminish, our spiritual powers raise our hopes and give rise to an undaunted faith that our beloved Jesus returned to prepare us a room
because He loves us that much. He orders in love that we do not let our hearts be troubled, for He has counted our gray hairs and asks only that we trust Him always.

No comments:

Post a Comment