Saturday, January 7, 2012

Being in the Sunshine

"I live on the sunny side of the street; shady folks live on the other. I have always preferred the sunshine and have tried to put other people there, if only for an hour or two at a time" (Marshall P. Wilder).

What a great concept! Isn't it wonderful when we can walk and talk others into the sunshine of life; when we can make others happier simply because they are with us. I'll never forget an incident years ago that so surprised me, and yet taught me a wonderful lesson. A very dear friend of ours was dying of cancer. This was tragic enough but, to compound the grief, she had three beautiful children in their teens. I cannot imagine what must have been going through her mind and heart! Sheila was in remission and we were so optimistic for her. Her husband gave her a birthday party in a hotel and many of their friends came to celebrate her life. Just before the dinner was to begin we were all standing around chatting, and Sheila came over to me and asked me if I would sit next to her at the dinner, because "you make me laugh." Wow! I knew I would never again receive a compliment that would mean so much.

Sheila was one of those people whose goal was to make life happier for those fortunate enough to know her. Here we are, years later, and just the thought of her makes me so grateful that I had the privilege and honor of knowing her. Bless her beautiful heart and soul, she brought people into the sunshine. I truly believe that is why we all loved her so much. I still miss this precious lady, but her everlasting message to us all is to bring others into the sunshine of life. For those who see nothing but the storms and lightenings of life, Sheila left us with this so-valuable lesson: lighten up and warm up! Even if it's only for an hour or two, let us bring our relatives and friends into the sunshine of our life.
Above all, let us eschew a " joyless, dismal, black and sorrowful issue....!!" (Shakespeare)

No comments:

Post a Comment