Sunday, April 15, 2012

Abortion and its afterbirth

My dear readers!

This is a personal testimony about one of our sons. We had five sons, all wonderful people. As I approach my twilight years, I become increasingly grateful for them and their contributions to life. They have been more than a joy to us, they have become our inspiration, as well. Unfortunately our oldest opted to check out of life at the tender age of 19, but even from this tragedy lilies grew on the rod of sorrow.

This is about our youngest son. When I became pregnant with this child my doctor, who was a personal friend as well, was very concerned. He was so sure I would not make it through the pregnancy because of complications when our fourth son was born (the surgeon told me a few days after our fourth son’s birth, “We almost lost mother and baby”). My doctor told me (this was before Roe v. Wade) that I could have what he called a therapeutic abortion, it was legal, and it was a “choice” that I could make without permanent damage to my conscience.

Well, I made my “choice” and chose to have the baby. This baby is now 44 years old, an awesome presence and delight. He is a son, husband and father, and I can’t imagine him not being a part of our lives. His wife, who we love just as much as we love our son, is a wonderful lady, and they have given us four grandchildren who have given our sunset years more happiness than we could have imagined. I suppose my point is this: faith that God can see us through the tough times definitely pays. This young man and his family are so fine! Had I chosen to delete this blob from my life (which is what the prevailing notion is about that “thing” in mommy’s tummy), just think what we would have missed! How grateful I am that God gave me the faith to carry this baby, and to grant me the PRIVILEGE of being his mother! Perhaps that is what we have forgotten: that to be a mother is to be a part of God’s creative act. And it is indeed a privilege!

An Anonymous shares these thoughts:

Would you consider abortion in the following four situations?

1. There's a preacher and wife who are very, very poor. They already have 14 children. Now she finds out she's pregnant with their 15th! They're living in tremendous poverty. Considering their poverty and the excessive world population, would you recommend she get an abortion?

2. The father is sick with sniffles, the mother has TB. They have four children. The first child is blind, the second is dead. The third child is deaf, the fourth has TB. She finds she's pregnant again. Given the extreme situation, would you consider recommending abortion?

3. A white man raped a 13 year old black girl and she became pregnant. If you were her parents, would you consider recommending abortion?

4. A teenage girl is pregnant. She's not married. Her fiance is not the father of the baby, and he's very upset. Would you consider recommending abortion?

If you would have recommended abortion in any of these situations, you should know that...

In the first case, you recommended killing John Wesley, one of the great evangelists of the 19th century.

In the second case, you recommended killing Ludwig Von Beethoven, one of the most famous musical composers of all time. (He also became deaf at an early age).

In the third case, you recommended killing Ethel Waters, one of the nations leading gospel singers.

In the fourth case, you have just recommended killing Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment